Pages

Wednesday 1 April 2020

Two Elf and 'Appiness

What's this - Seven months of silence and then two posts in a day?! It would seem a global pandemic is all that was needed to kick my arse back in to blogging and I'm very happy to be back nursing my cold cup of tea again. But how am I going to sustain a regular posting schedule and not quickly burn out after a short burst of enthusiasm as usual? Well, as it happens, I have tons of stuff that I've painted over the last couple of years that hasn't made it on to the blog for one reason or the other. Usually I've been in a massive rush for BOYL or some of the other gaming events I attend over the year and then never got round to doing a write up, or even photograph them for a post. On top of that there's all sorts of stuff that's sat unpainted in boxes for too long and, without the pressures and crazy painting targets I set myself for events like BOYL, I am pretty time rich at the moment. The house may be in bits as lockdown here in the UK found us in the middle of having the house rewired and the loft converted, but I'm sure I'll be able to rummage through the boxes and find most of what I want to share with you. Happily it  also looks like my temporary photo set up isn't producing terrible pics so onwards and upwards we go!

Anyway, getting back to the point of this post - here we have two Elves!


These are a couple of colour tests for a unit of Quithnillian Elves I picked up last time I was down at the Foundry for Dave's Big 40th Birthday Bash - a huge Empire V. Orcs game of 4th ed (a post coming up on that later...).

I'd been eyeing up these chaps for a while as potential High Elf allies for the Wood Elf host that has been languishing for too long in a Quality Street tin - especially as these were some of the first minis I purchased off of ebay as adversaries for my Orcs way back in 2009 when I first started this blog! A  few got painted but most didn't.


I presume the Quithnillian Elves (love the name!) were an existing Foundry line that got co-opted in to the God of Battles range - Foundry's mass battle rule set - but I'm happy to be corrected. Either way, they're lovely minis and quite similar to the Elven Guards on the Warmonger website.


At the risk of this post beginning to sound like an extended advert for Foundry, I also used their paints! I'm really liking their system, especially for things like these Elves or many of the units I painted for Zharradan Marr's legions, where I wanted clean, crisp and bright colours - no grubby Orcs and Goblins with their black and brown ink washes and rust effects here! Yellow is certainly a colour I've struggled with over the years and beyond having to apply a few layers over a black undercoat, it's not too difficult to achieve a satisfactory finish with the three tone system.  I think I may swap the red for the scabbards of the swords and daggers on their belts to match the purple of the robe they have on beneath the yellow surcoat and make it a bit more prominent in the colour scheme. I must admit the colurful illustrations of High Elves in the 3rd ed Warhammer Armies book were certainly an inspiration.


Speaking of which, I was thumbing through the Armies book the other day, as I've increasingly been thinking about getting going on my Elven Host and had forgotten the (guilty?) pleasure of dreaming up and writing down army lists. Many an afternoon were wiled away as the younger me imagined and totalled up points values for armies that I never dreamed of actually owning - little did I know back then!

These guys will be fielded as High Elf Guard as part of a High Elf allied contingent. Being +1 shock elite and having the option to wear heavy armour (possibly the only 3rd ed Elven foot troops to do so?) will give the battle line a bit more resilience! I'll be hashing out the narrative background for the army in more detail, as I go along, but it'll be something along the lines of the retinue of a High Elf noble, including Sea Elf ship's crew and scouts, on a diplomatic visit to their Wood Elf cousins in the Laurelorn Forest.


So just another eighteen Elves to paint to complete the unit and I am in no way regretting all that yellow and white - thank god they're not showing so much flesh!

Might need a rest with some nice green Wood Elf archers next, although I've always wanted to field a Sea Elf Merchant Company - a unit comprised of half spearmen or halberdiers and half archers - and then there's boxes of Black Tree Dr Who stuff, the latest 4A Goblins, Amazons and Tekumel minis...

13 comments:

  1. Good stuff, and great to see the blog firing up again. For numpties like me who don't do facebook, blogs are a real lifeline to the gaming world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah and the daft thing was I never posted much hobby stuff on Facebook anyway - just lurked about like a voyeur! Really good to be back in the saddle.

      Delete
  2. It's been a while since your last post. Happy to see you alive and kicking.
    BTW, I just ordered Oathmark. Have you considered trying them? They look promising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - tell me about it! Too long - hope you and yours are all safe and well too.

      Those plastics look rather nice and good value too - we'll have to see how far the budget stretches but colour me interested! A box of the Elves would certainly give me my Merchant Company...

      Delete
    2. Yes, the new light infantry Elves are really nice.
      Cheers,

      Delete
  3. Elves now?
    You've really done a great job with these Foundry elves - I find the sea elf range interesting but never given much thought to Quithnillian Elves which I always found a bit bland for some reason. They certainly aren't bland the way you've painted them.

    Elves are my bete-noire. I got back into this hobby to finally have the elf army I've dreamed of, but while I've been happy with the job I've done painting humans, dwarves, gnomes, and various gribblies, I'm never happy with how the elves are turning out. I really don't know why this is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bud - yeah been a while since I painted any goodies and these chaps were half price at Foundry so couldn't resist! Quite looking forward to delving in to my tin of Jes Goodwin goodness and cracking on with the Wood Elves - always loved that army of Andy McVey's.

      The Sea Elves are an interesting range - if a little sinister looking with those helmets. Might it be finding the right colour scheme - took me a while to get one I was happy with these boys and they're a pain to paint because I have to be so neat with them - unlike my approach with Orcs and Goblins!

      Delete
    2. The Foundry sea elves have so much metal that they're not that bad! I've got a few of them lined up right now for a greek-mythos themed project I think they'll be ideal for.

      But e.g. my attempt at the mordheim shadow warriors for my sea elf army fell flat. I think you're right - I need to test different colour schemes and find one that works.

      Delete
    3. Look forward to seeing them - they'll fit right in to a mythological setting - very Atlantean.

      My advice - don't go with lots of yellow!

      Delete