Pages

Tuesday 26 May 2015

BOYL 2015: Oldhammer Ahoy!

It's about time I got started on some of the projects I had intended to bring with me to this year's Bring Out Your Lead down at the Foundry in August...

One of which is my Goblin Pirate ship for the Oldhammer Ahoy game that seems to be going on for most of the weekend! Hopefully I'll be done in time so I can join in on the Sunday to see if there are any survivors left over to be picked off.

As soon as the game was mooted (pretty much straight after BOYL 2014!) I knew I wanted a Goblin crew but this image also popped in to my head -


I'm a big fan of Terry Gilliam (especially the brilliant animations he did for Monty Python) and Time Bandits was a favourite film when I was a kid.


I've had the bits lying around for this project for a while now but Fimm McCool's amazing Ironclad and Nurgle/Orc hulk got me moving.

I must admit nervousness at messing up the cutting of the polystyrene head had held me back for a while but I finally came up with an idea on how to get a straight-ish line round the top of it -

I wear a Fez now - Fezzes are cool.

I'd already taken the plunge and chopped off the neck where I wanted the waterline to be.
Once I'd drawn a line around the bottom of the fez, the patient was ready for lobotomy... I mean the head was ready for the top section to be removed to provide a flat surface for the ship to sit on.

I did feel a bit like Hannibal Lecter in that brain scene!
I was pretty happy with the results - it wasn't the straightest cut but I knew I'd be tidying it up with and making the bond between head and ship stronger with miliput.


Bit of gap filling required!

As well as some stretched out ears and earrings

Maybe even a bit of weight adding as well as the brow area bulking out
As you can see I've gone with the Playmobil Pirate ship - maybe a little large but I'm going to have a seriously underpowered and random Goblin crew, not to mention all sorts of random shenanigans from the Giant!

Talking of the crew - I intend to use my 4A Miniatures Goblins



 along with a few newer 4A releases I need to get painted up -

Chap with the trident would make a good Captain methinks



Not sure the hold will be big enough for War Tortoise Ajax though!



It'd also be nice to get these Fish Demons (also from 4A Miniatures) into the game somehow...


Must get my Piranha Boys painted up too -





Next up will be basing the Giant's head and decking out the ship - as soon as the wife furnished me with enough coffee stirrers.

20 comments:

  1. Oh man, I love Time Bandits. I'm anxious to see how this project turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope I can do it justice - I reckon if I can get the head just right it'll look ok.

      Delete
  2. Time Bandits is a great film and I really look forward to seeing this project go ahead-ha,ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This project has certainly been a good excuse to rewatch it several times - not good for productivity mind!

      I forgot to mention that I'd also be including the Ogre featured at the end of this old post - definitely more than a passing resemblance to Winston the Ogre!

      Delete
  3. This project is wonderful. I saw TB at the flicks just as I was into collecting Citadel figures first time round. I am so looking forward to seeing the finished giant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr S. - I missed the cinematic release myself being only 3 years old!

      Can't wait to get sculpting the giants head and his big stretchy ears.

      Delete
  4. I see you managed to wrestle the ship back from it's new owners! Looking good mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only because they're up in the Lakes with the Grandparents while I finish off the decorating!

      Mind you, they haven't done badly out of spare parts that I don't need and they still have the remote control Black Pearl ship that was a bit too narrow for the Giant's head.

      Still, there is a slight twinge of guilt at nicking it back off the kids and turning it into a delicate model they won't be allowed to get their hands on!

      Delete
  5. That's a genius idea. Like all right-minded folks, I was a big time bandits fan also. I'll be watching for progress on this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave - should fill the time in between waiting for my Thunderchild II to arrive ; )

      Delete
    2. Oh, you b*&^A£d. I didn't get one during the KS, and now I'm kicking myself. Still, fingers crossed the eventually get them sent out.

      Delete
    3. You'll just have to come over (or me to you!) some time to get the satisfaction of melting it with Martian heat rays - should take some of the frustration out!

      Delete
  6. I am really looking forwards to seeing this in August. But will you try and wear the boat when you pop to the pub in the evening?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured I'd probably be enough of a fist magnet by wearing an Oldhammer T shirt and discussing just what Oldhammer is in a loud and drunken manner - think I might leave it at Foundry for the night ; )

      Besides, knowing my luck we'd bump into a Hen Night and I'd end up swapping it for a plastic tiara...

      Delete
  7. Oh yeah, Thantsants! And I hope the hold is big enough for the War Tortoise Ajax because a ship on a Giant's head filled with Goblins with a giant War Tortoise hidden inside is simply beyond cool!!! Oh why did I let my wife give away my son's pirate ship!?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please have a drop-down deployment ramp and make the simple modifications to turn the Wartortoise into a Warturtle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.W. and Fimm - I've obviously been watching far too much Scrapheap Challenge during my half term holiday.

    I think I have the solution - a pontoon raft buoyed by empty beer kegs!

    Watch this space...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea.

    I love 'Time Bandits' :)

    Perhaps if possible you could add the C23 Orge 'Warrior Priest' as he looks a bit like the Ogre in the film?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee - way ahead of you!

      I forgot to include him in the main post so added a link to my reply to Tradgardmastare's comment.

      Should get some time to start basing the Giant's head and giving him a good coating of polyfilla...

      Delete
    2. Excellent.
      Can't wait to see how you get on.

      Delete