Pages

Wednesday 17 June 2020

Retrospective: A Ship of Fools - The Crew of Gilliam's Folly

The allegory of the Ship of Fools might be rather pertinent at the moment here in the UK and elsewhere, however I am using the phrase literally to introduce this lot - the crew(s) of Gilliam's Folly!


Actually I'll start with the first scurvy lot who crewed the ship during the Warhammer Ahoy game at BOYL 2015 - a fearsome Goblin pirate band sculpted by Kev Adams. 


They're a great bunch of minis and it was nice to give them an outing as I don't really do much pirate-themed gaming!


They certainly did a sterling job in the Warhammer Ahoy game, hanging on while the Giant led them on a merry dance across the high seas, along with a bunch of my 4A Miniatures Bog Gobs (as I call them) - another lovely range of Kev Adams sculpted Goblins with a strong maritime feel and available from Four A Miniatures.


 Not only did they manage not to fall off their ship, even with the Giant swapping nautical hats during the game, but they even succeeded in downing Zee Kindenbourg - Geoff's amazing Goblin Airship!

A proud moment although tinged with sadness at the destruction of such a beautiful ship!

There's a nice mix of warriors and villager types in the 4A range and I look forward to painting up the rest of them that were released in the last Kickstarter Andy ran back in 2017...


Hornblower lets rip atop the Crow's Nest!


There's lots of humorous touches to the miniatures - the "Fishwife" below is one of my favourites, although the eye-patch wearing Boss is a close runner up!


I must admit they do seem quite at home aboard Gilliams Folly...


I think this conversion from a bottle of grog to a telescope just about works!


However, I am very happy to say that I have finally gotten around to painting up the proper and correct crew from Time Bandits - Northumbrian Tin Soldier's Time Robbers! I think Time Bandits has to rank as one of my all time favourite films and I still remember being absolutely blown away by it as a kid watching for the first time so these miniatures were a bit of a labour of love for me!


I'm not sure when these guys were originally released but as soon as I saw them I knew I had to have them! It certainly seems like they've been in cardboard purgatory for quite a while! In fact it was getting round to painting this lot up (being distracted by larger projects didn't help) that held up getting Gilliam's Folly featured on here properly. The paint jobs are based on what I could see of the costumes from stills of the film and the lovely painted versions on Northumbrian Tin Soldier's website. Nice to really go to town on a small group of miniatures and the palette of warm browns, tans and reds was very pleasant to work with.


Of course the Time Bandits actually stole the ship (if you can actually steal something a giant is using as a hat?) from it's previous occupants - Winston the Ogre and his lovely if slightly sinister wife, Mrs Ogre, played by the fantastic Peter Vaughan and Katherine Helmond in the film.


Happily these resin scenic pieces from Scotia Grendel are reminiscent of Mrs Ogre's kitchen - well stocked with a large selection of knives and bladeds as well as all the disgusting ingredients for Winston's various medications. 


"You try being beastly and terrifying... when you can only get one hour's sleep a night because your back hurts and you don't dare cough unless you want to pull a muscle."


I ended up trying to emulate the pattern on Mrs Ogre's dress which was a little nerve-wracking but I think it came out alright in the end. Again these were a pleasure to paint - nice, unfussy and old school in style. Winston was pretty straight forward with his old coat made of rags and fishing net.

Seeing as how I had the cast and set to hand I thought I'd recreate a little scene from the film!

Kevin's cunning plan to escape being eaten by the Ogres - a miraculous back cure!

A back cure that involves the Time Bandits stretching Winston by his arms and legs...

... which enables them to swing overboard!

A suspicious Mrs Ogre investigates.

Winston... What are you doing in the water dear?

Kevin and the Bandits approach under cover of the cooking pot...
Mrs Ogre - about to join her husband...


Celebrations - the boat is theirs!

Or is it...?


I wonder how much this lovely Jes Godwin ogre was inspired by the film - or even Tim the Enchanter here as well?





I'll leave you with a few close up shots of the Northumbrian Tin Soldier miniatures - next steps to paint the rest of the range up!

Randall and Kevin

Fidgit and Vermin

Og and Strutter

Wally

Winston and Mrs Ogre








15 comments:

  1. A fine group of Arrrrs Pirates you have there mate, reminds me I need to find and paint my 100 odd 4A gobbos.. arhh balls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chico! Yeah - I went in hard on that kickstarter too if that's where you got yours? Looking forward to painting my little unit of Goblin Crab Riders I must admit!

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos...a favourite movie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John - definitely a labour of love for me too - glad you like them!

      Delete
  3. Holy Smokes! So wonderful! Time Bandits has been one of my most favorite movies since I was little and you've realized it spectacularly with this project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mouse - great minds think alike obviously! It does help when a company makes such lovely miniatures - nice not to have to do extensive conversins to get the look you want - apart from the ship obviously! XD

      Delete
  4. What an absolute joy this is! They all look amazing. Like you, I adored the film and picked up the same miniatures, I might even have based them, but that is as far I they have got. I see that they have a dded some more to the range now too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see so many Time Bandits fans out there! Thanks Michael - would love to see your take on the minis. Yep, there's a good little range now. I'm really looking forward to painting Evil and his minions in particular although the minotaur is rather nice too...

      Delete
    2. That was my worry, where to stop? 🤣

      Delete
  5. Absolutely brilliant. I'm amazed how much the figures look like the actors. Particularly Mrs. Ogre.
    A little Time Bandits anecdote. They filmed the Napoleonic battle scene just down the road from where I use to live in Keynsham, Somerset. My dad drove me down to watch and we ended up giving a very wet Hussar a lift back into town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did I know you'd have some anecdote or connection to the film! That's a brilliant story and must have been very exciting for the younger you - I do, however, fully expect to see that Wet Hussar realised by you as a beautifully painted miniature at some point though - it would make a great diorama with him squeezing in to a model Vauxhall Cavalier or whatever your Dad drove back then! I agree the likenesses are all pretty excellent and it's not often that happens! I have a real soft spot for Mrs Ogre I have to admit XD

      Delete
    2. Pretty sure it was an Austin 1800 we had.......

      Delete
  6. these are fantastic, ive loved this film ever since i was 4 foot 11 :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! I guess I might have been a similar height when I first saw it too!

      Delete