Pages

Saturday 16 January 2016

Pastures new...

It's been a little quiet around here lately - too quiet.

There have been reasons though - big boring real life reasons. Well actually they've been quite exciting at times and very boring and frustrating at others.


Yep we've finally moved house from York to the Lake District for some well earned peace and quiet,



 time to get re-acquainted with the family


and generally enjoy the rural idyll.




Well I say we...


Yep - managed to break my left fibula when I had a disagreement with a plastic bag (which I suspect the wife accidentally dropped) whilst carrying several large boxes down the stairs as we were packing things up in our old house in York earlier this week.

The culprit...

However, frustrating as it is, there are certain fringe benefits...



The possibilities of getting some painting done as I spend 12 weeks in plaster has also not escaped me!



Nothing much to show so far, although I have been busy painting some Epic scale Chaos stuff that now needs basing - pics to come.

Which brings me on to some New Year Resolutions.

1. Paint lots of Epic! 



I managed to procure both Adeptus Titanicus and Space Marine 1st ed. before Christmas and am planning some big Horus Heresy era games once I've got everything painted up. 

In fact I'm hoping to run an Adeptus Titanicus game at BOYL 2016, providing all the minis needed with interchangeable magnetised weapons so players can make their own force up, as well as a large ruined city board to play on.

I've also managed to amass a large quantity of Space Marines, Rhinos and Landraiders and plan to paint them up as various Loyalist and Traitor Chapters...

2. Stay in touch with my gaming buddies!



One of the down sides of moving out to the sticks is that I've left behind an active and great little gaming group. We've been hooking up for games at various locations up and down the M1 between York and Newark on a semi-monthly basis. I've just got a bit further to go now!

Mind you, having said that, I have just had a great game of Warhammer Fantasy Battle 3rd ed., with a bit of Siege thrown in for good measure, via Facebook with Warlord Paul, as part of the Mighty Empires game he's running for us at the moment.

3. Re-establish the Man Cave

One of the pre-requisites I had in mind back when we were house-hunting (as well as being easily defendable from Zombies and well away from any flood plains) was a room I could dedicate to my hobby. Luckily I have just that in the form of a fourth attic room in which we're getting a loft conversion done. I fear I may be living out of boxes for a while longer but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait...



Think that'll do for now  apologies for the meme overload! Hopefully next time I should have some painted miniatures to share...

28 comments:

  1. Ouch! Mind you moving house without lifting a finger AND a man cave - it was probably worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely able to look on the bright side of this! Mind you we have been moving house for the past month or so and dumping a lot of stuff at my folks so I haven't been entirely idle.

      Delete
  2. Bad luck on the leg!

    The misses must never know but one of the selling points for our house was it fitted in with my 'Zombie apocalypse' plan (and was two minute walk from a underground station).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Riot Ville - a man after my own heart by the sounds of it!

      Delete
  3. Bad luck....but worth it. A man cave AND the Lake District....couldn't be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully that's the end of our run of bad luck - it's certainly been a bumpy ride moving over here for various reasons. Not sure which I'm more excited about!

      Delete
    2. Hopefully that's the end of our run of bad luck - it's certainly been a bumpy ride moving over here for various reasons. Not sure which I'm more excited about!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks mate - you'll have to get yourself over here some time soon for a game or three.

      Delete
  5. Ouch! Bad luck with the leg, but well done with the Lake District - a great place to live! Look forward to you getting back to the brushes soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sidney - me too. The paint drought has gone on far too long. Plus it's either that or day time telly!

      Hopefully it'll take my mind off looking up at the hills in the knowledge that I can't and play in them for at least 12 weeks.

      Delete
  6. Nice to see you back to blogging. Sorry to hear about the leg situation but at least you get to spend more time dabbling with funny little men. If you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be back. Dabbling with funny little men has certainly won hands down against day time telly - however dodgy it might sound!

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear about the leg, but glad to see you back blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David - been a while and nice to be back in the driving seat. Bad news on the Martian Front though eh?

      Delete
  8. Congrats on the move move! Sounds like a positive step for you and your family. As to the Leg...that sucks..but get what good you can out of it. When I broke my ankle I expected to paint a lot but could never find a comfy position to sit in...:( So...I mostly watched archer and played video games...lol. Hang in there bro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Blue - I did think of you and your ankle as I was sat painting the other day. Luckily it's been pretty bearable - it's the ankle that I tore all the ligament in that's been more of a pain than the broken bone itself! I've had a pretty productive time so far, even if it's been more building and converting than painting so far...

      Delete
  9. Hey Happy New Home, Thantsants! I really like the F-14/15 you have as a lawn ornament! And all the best on a quick healing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks buddy - Ah if only that were our lawn ornament! Sadly the RAF seem to leave us alone in our little corner of Cumbria but it's a different story at my parents' place down the road - I'm sure they use their house as a waypoint or target for low flying Hercules - pretty spectacular to watch!

      Lots of hobby time is certainly helping the healing process!

      Delete
  10. Eager to see your Heresy Epic stuff as I'm going the same way. Now I'm thinking how to convert some prymarchs for Epic scale...
    I'd break my leg to have a room for my hobby too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blacksmith - nearly done with a Space Wolf Great Company and supporting detachments. I can't promise I've been completely "historically" accurate as I had to use old 90's era White Dwarves as a reference when they revamped the Space Wolves as we're still waiting to be hooked up to the internets in our new place! It did take me back to flicking through White Dwarf for inspiration as a kid back in the dark days of dial up!

      I'd recommend the left fibula as a relatively painless option ;)

      Delete
  11. I'm sorry to hear about your leg mate.... But it Does give you some well earned hobby time.

    If you're looking for a player for your Adeptus Titanicus game at BOYL then I'd be happy to join in. I still have my full maniple of 3 Warlords; a Reaver and 2 Warhounds from BOYL 14!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - can't complain on that front!

      That'd be great to have you along. I'll be posting up how I hope to run the game in due course - nearly got my head around the Adeptus Titanicus rules - definitely the complex crunchy WFB 3rd ed. of the 6mm wargaming world!

      I've got as far as procuring 17 Warlords (12 came in the Adeptus Titanicus box!) and 5 Warhounds which I intend on giving retro paint jobs as Heresy era Traitor and Loyalist Legions. I'm also magnetising the weapons so that folk who don't have their own titans can use mine and design their own force according to a points limit I'm working out. You're more than welcome of course to bring your guys down - be great to see them on the field of battle again. I'll be detailing how to work out how much Titans cost in points for AT in the near future so you can assemble your task force. I dare say Ollie will be along for the ride too!

      Oh and I have a big ruined cityscape to build so our Titans have somewhere to play as well... Good job I broke my leg after all!

      Delete
  12. Congratulations! And sorry about the leg. I understand the non-leg frustrations and joys as we are ourselves making a rather similar but inverse move. (Small city to larger one.) Which should result in an above ground gaming room. Also a spare bit of attic. I would have natural light by which I might paint were it not for the adjacent buildings blocking all daylight from the relevant windows. Still, at least I'll have a nice view of the neighbor's wall. :) Things will be better . . . once I get the boxes unpacked. Good luck in your own newly elevated and suitably defensible digs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks but I think the leg is turning out to be a blessing in disguise!

      Best of luck with your move - sounds like you'll have a great set up once you've moved in. Hope it all goes as smoothly as possible!

      Oh and it's great fun unpacking boxes - there's been loads of stuff I'd almost forgot I had and it was almost like receiving it brand new (and used) from ebay all over again!

      Delete
  13. I slipped on the ice breaking both fibula and fibula, requiring surgery to correct... and painless would have been very nice!

    Good luck with the healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Anon! Well I say relatively painless...

      The Doctors in York insisted on pinning the bone so I had a bit of surgery but it's been the torn ligaments in my ankle that are really giving me the most grief.

      That certainly sounds like a nasty break you suffered though - ouch!

      Delete