Pages

Monday 16 July 2018

Back Once Again!



Hello faithful readers - if there's anyone left? Quite understandable if you've left me for dead since my last post was back in October and I was somewhat sporadic before then... 





My excuse this time? Mainly enjoying the outdoor life working as a Field Ranger with the Lake District National Park and stressing about the impending termination of my short term contract with them this September.


Happily I've since managed to secure a permanent position with them however and what with the prolonged good weather we've had this Summer, I've not been too active on the hobby front.


Such idleness does not come without consequences and now BOYL looms large on the horizon and the various big projects I swore I'd have done in time are looming even larger!

However, I have good news - for me at any rate. I have broken the back of the biggest and probably longest running project I've embarked upon!

Yes - the Shrine of Rigg is complete!

This is quite an achievement as I seem to remember bringing the completed ground floor sections to the first ever BOYL all the way back in 2013 - I think it was just in case Padre didn't have enough scenery for the epic Lustrian game he laid on which was a joy to spectate. I needn't have worried as he and his  gamers laid on a lavish table! I also seem to remember leaving the flipping thing at Foundry and retrieving it later in the year at a Blogcon event - good job really as Foundry then moved to their current excellent premises at Stoke Hall.

Here's a few pics from over the years that chart the construction of the shrine - now I just need to paint the damn thing and get the interior decorators in!

Original Plans and approximate measurements

The casting of blocks begins...

Early progress on the ground floor with a few prospective buyers casting a critical eye on the work so far...

More work on the ground floor.

Ground floor walls completed and a test paint job applied - interior walls and stair cases being added.

More detail of the internal walls.
Ground floor done!

Work commences on the first floor...



Test shot of how it'll all turn out hopefully!
Ground and first floor completed with work started on the 2nd floor.

First floor interiors.
Progress on 2nd and 3rd floors.

View of 3rd floor interior

Finished!

Rear view

Now time to get the decorators in...

The timer on the Bring Out Your Lead website tells me I have 17 days, 15 hours, 48 minutes, and 42 seconds to be ready for BOYL -  best get a shift on!



38 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cheers Michael - just been rereading some of your excellent jungle scenery posts and purchasing the relevant materials. Hope to cobble something similar together in time for the big game...

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see it in the flesh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers bud - look forward to seeing you there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could try to use words, but they all seem pointless and inadequate, they wouldn't be but an understatement of how much admiration I feel!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Suber - hope the finished piece passes muster!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Neil - must say I'm glad I'm past the casting phase and in to the painting phase now!

      Delete
  6. Well, that is just one of the best damn terrain pieces I've ever seen Thantsants. You might have been away from the web for a while, but you sure a hell made up for it with this project.

    Just wondering, is it heavy? Will you need a flat bed to get it to BOYL :P

    Ace build mate, would've been grand to see it in person.

    All the best for BOYL :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - cheers bud - thought I'd best come up with something good for when I dragged my sorry ass back in here after another long sojourn ;)

      It is damn heavy! I got through about 60kgs (dry weight) of Crystacal R in building it. Just hope the table at BOYL will support it once all the lead is added... I reckon my Defender will cope with transporting it but it 'aint going to do my fuel consumption any good!

      Worry ye not - I'm sure it'll be making a few appearances in the future - need to get my money's worth out of it!

      Delete
  7. That’s freaking amazoning!!! (See what I did there) lol can’t wait to see this in person. Only a couple weeks man. Congrats on securing the new job as well. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe - nice one. Might have to pinch that for a puntastic blog post for when it's painted! Thanks bud - like I say, having a permanent contract is a big weight off indeed! Look forward to seeing you again down in Newark!

      Delete
  8. This is glorious. I'm so sad I wont be able to see it in the flesh. You have inspired me to try and crack on with making my own playable interior buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sean - don't worry, it'll be having a few outings in the coming years! I need to introduce myself to my local gaming group and run a game with it at the relatively new Phoenix show in Penrith for instance.

      Look forward to seeing what you come up with too!

      Delete
  9. Marvellous, and glad to see you back blogging. My oldest lad is hoping to get into your line of work, and is volunteering like mad at the moment. Can't make BOYL again, but have managed to link up with some local Oldhammerers (GLOGG).
    CHEERS
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike and good to hear from you too - thought I'd seen you about on the forum. Shame you can't make it to BOYL but I'm sure the GLOGG boys are keeping you entertained! Besy of luck to your lad - volunteering is a good if long way in and it worked well for me. The more practical experience he can get the better and the odd ticket like chainsaws or ATV can also help if he has the cash to fund himself.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the advice... he's doing his chainsaw course in September. It's great to have linked up with the GLOGGS, some great guys and stunning collections.

      Delete
    3. Good lad - that'll stand him in good stead. Aye they're not a bad bunch, those GLOGG'ers!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Cheers Phil - not sure my wife feels the same! Still not worked out where it's going in between games!

      Delete
  11. Good to hear from the land of tepid tea again! The shrine looks incredible, that's a monumental project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah - good to see you again too Mr S. The tea was almost stone cold but it's nearly piping luke warm again ;) Monumental is definitely a good word for it!

      Delete
  12. Wow you've really taken this terrain piece to another level! Now I'm even more sad that I can't make.it to BOYL this year. I'll just have to admire it from a distance. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers bud - no room in Mr Grove's luggage? ;) We'll be sure to raise a warm pint and a pork pie to absent friends! The shrine won't be mothballed after this year's BOYL I can assure you! I reckon folk will get sick of seeing it after I've dragged the shrine to every conceivable Oldhammer event and used it with every games system Games Workshop ever produced in an attempt to get my money's worth out of it!

      Delete
  13. That's just a beautiful thing! Fair play for carrying on all these years and getting it done, so many others would have found it in the shed in a decades time and given it up for dead. I may have to bring some barbarians on a little pillaging and raiding. See you in a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Whiskey Priest, although most of the work has been done in the past month! The ground floor did indeed languish (almost) forgotten for a good few years. Be good to see some little warbands in it for the pillaging as well as the huge armies that are currently massing for battle - see you down in Newark!

      Delete
  14. This is absolutely epic. Really looking forward to seeing it in the flesh at BOYL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Curis - just hope the table is big enough and strong enough... See you there!

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Thanks Kym - hopefully I can do it justice with the paint brush!

      Delete
  16. You’re alive! I actually looked this up yesterday to check ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! That's phenomenal!

    Congratulations on the job too - it must be terrible tramping around the Lake District.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat - on both fronts! Been walking up Styhead pass, rebuilding a bridge below Windy Gap and great and Green Gable all this week - awful as you'd expect ;)

      Delete
  18. I always dreamed of playing with Amazons in a temple like that. It is so awesome. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blacksmith - we've now played the game and it was indeed awesome! Blogpost coming up some time in the next week...

      Delete