Pages

Thursday 18 June 2015

This season's latest must have...

Got a bit more progress done on my Time Bandits inspired ship for the Warhammer Ahoy game at this year's BOYL.


Having committed all kinds of butchery in cutting out a 6cm section of the ship to shorten it, I think it now looks a little more like the source material.



Still perhaps a little long but its amazing what a difference taking out just 6cm has made. I didn't really want to cut the ship down any further as it would have meant losing certain features on the deck, like the hatch that opens into the deck below and the various gunports dotted around.


The  next stage will be to drill a few holes through the hull down into the head and secure it more firmly with some pins - at the moment its just held on with a big wedge of polyfilla, which I'm waiting to dry out.


Once the hull is fixed in place it'll be a case of bulking out the face a bit more with polyfilla and possibly some miliput, as well as hiding the joins between the two parts of the hull.


I'm also planning on building up the poop deck with the house-like structure seen in the film.



The fo'c'lse will also get built up with a fortified pen for War Tortoise Ajax, complete with a crane to lift him out to deploy as a landing craft!


Then there's the various spikes to add to the hull and a whole load of ropes and rigging. For weaponry I have a spare bolt thrower which I might convert into a harpoon for anti-Sea Monster duties. I've also got a captured Dwarf Organ and a spare bombard from the Lead Belcher kit. These will of course be highly inaccurate and unpredictable as I think that puts me over the limits for armaments according to the rules we'll be playing with.


Best get painting the crew up at some point too!

10 comments:

  1. It looks great, but damn that looks like a tonne of work is still required to call it finished :)

    You reckon you'll have it done in time?

    It'll make an awesome centre piece on the tabletop !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm well and truly committed now so failure is not an option!

    Plus I have the secret weapon of breaking up from school for the summer holidays in 4 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work and I am really looking forward to following what happens next...
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan - hopefully the polyfilla will have dried by this evening so I can finish securing the boat to the head.

      Quite fancy a bit of balsa wood building tonight, although I am looking forward to sculpting the Giant's stretched ears and beetling brow too!

      Delete
  4. Good work. I really am looking forward to seeing this project progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby steps at the moment - should be some good progress over the weekend if all goes well...

      Delete
  5. Wow, now this is going to be one great model, cannot wait to see it in person !
    Are you going to drown in it ropes like the original or will you try to stay modest on that side for gaming conviniency ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think festooning it with as much detritus as I can is the only way forward. I've got a ton of string and thread ready to make my own rigging and various barrels, bales and treasure chests to litter the decks with.

      A model like this should be completely impractical I think!

      Delete
  6. What a great idea and it's already looking marvellous and bonkers. Looking forward to watching your progress; here's to the school summer holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stuart - should be a good update tomorrow so you don't have to wait for the hols! Got a good bit of progress in building up the fo'c'lse (I always pronounce that as fockles in my head but maybe that's just me?) and Giant Tortoise pen done today.

      Pics to come...

      Delete