Pages

Sunday 28 June 2015

Car Boot Treasures!

Morning all - now I don't often post many "Look what I've got!" posts, or at least I hope I don't. However, yesterday I was presented with this by my Mother-in-Law after she'd been to a local car boot sale.


At first I assumed it was full of old Citadel paints and hoped that they would still be usable. When she handed the box over though, I nearly dropped it because of the weight.

It was full of lead!

After I had assured her that £5 was probably a good price to have paid, I had a good rummage to see what was lurking in there...


 Dark Elf Blood Bowl team - painted up as the Darkside Cowboys I believe. I might keep them like this and just spruce them up a bit as they are quite nicely painted and I think my Wasteland Wanderers Dark Elf team is strong enough as it is. I rather like the conversion on one of the throwers too.


All three Chainsaw Warriors plus three trouble shooters. I'm quite excited about the Chainsaw Warriors and I'm sure they'll get used as bounty hunters and pest control in many a game of Rogue Trader.

Paranoia is a game that has long intrigued me - these three Trouble Shooters may mean trouble for me as I get slowly sucked in to collecting more of the range with a view to playing the game...



Golgfag 1 musician and Golgfag 2 Trooper - my unit of Goldfag's  Mercenary Ogres has enough troopers so I may pinch an idea I saw a while back of painting him up as a Black Orc. Might work with the Ogre drummer as well.                                                                                        



Noldor Deep Elves and Elf warriors - these chaps will reinforce my Wood Elf army that is still patiently sat in a box, waiting to be painted.



C33 Adventure packs - flying carpet. Well chuffed with this one! Check out the 80's milliput basing and toadstools. Again I'll probably just touch this chap up as I quite like the paint job he has.


The little imp might get painted electric blue like the Genie out of Disney's Aladdin though!



Lord of the Rings - parts of fellowship boxed set, Thorin, Saruman, mounted Easterling. Without particularly trying, I seem to have amassed a fair few LOTR minis - who knows I may even play it some day? The Easterling is a great model - he might end up as the leader of the Chaos Thug Horse unit I vaguely plan to do when I get round to my Chaos army.



Halflings - C11 - Smallfoot. Slottas - Hacker, Hamfist Halfwit. With the LOTR hobbits and the few Halflings i have painted up in my collection already, it looks like i could just about field a small unit of ten of these little fella's. Should be a nice addition to my Empire army when I get around to it (seems to b e a theme developing here!).



Human Ranger, Ninja - Dim Sum, Blink dogs and Zombie. The dogs will come in handy for all sorts of scenarios so glad to have them. I also now have a good handful of Ninja - might even have time to paint them up for the Journey to the East game I have planned for BOYL 2015...

The zombie brings my zombie horde to a grand total of two minis! Got a way to go before they shamble on to any battlefield.


Assorted Goblinoids - Harboth's Orc archer variants, Snotling, Mudat's Mercenary Half Orc trooper and Beast from the Goblin mutants range.


An intriguing conversion on Beast - he's had his shield removed and a shoulder pad and gauntlet sculpted on. Maybe he's up for a bit of Blood Bowl? I think I'll give him a weapon and he can join my Beastman pack until I track down a few more of his ilk.



Eldar, Alo, Alo - Gothic Horror, Poisoned Wind Globadier, Thaumatergist. Another Space Elf to join my small Pirate gang. Not sure what I'l do with the copper yet. The Skaven can join his litter brothers in my Beastman pack and Banedon can join my trades pile as I've got him already.



Assorted Norse Dwarves, Dwarf Villagers and Adventurers, including Sven Hasslefriesian. Loads of Dwarves! My allied contingent of Dwarves is now looking pretty strong. With this lot I can field a unit of clansmen, bolster my crossbow unit and Troll Slayers and use the knight (middle of the third row down) as a champion for my Ironbreakers. Sven will go in the trade pile as I've got him already.



Dwarf Bolt Thrower - another Dwarf war machine to join the cannon and organ gun I have stashed away.



Dwarf Lords of Legend and Inconvenienced Dwarf - D'oh another incomplete set I now need to complete! Should give me some characterful heroes for my Dwarf contingent too. Love the inconvenienced Dwarf - might have to install him in my Mighty Fortress somewhere...



Various Fantasy Tribes Dwarves and an Ironclaw Gothic Dwarf. These guys will go into the Dwarf clansmen unit I mentioned earlier with the Ironclaw Dwarf perhaps making a rather grand champion. The assassin will join the more disreputable Dwarves in my collection to form a vertically challenged robber band!



Spined Dragon and Hatchling and bits of a Fiend Factory Young Dragon. I'm rather pleased to have a Dragon as it's always been a bit of a gap in my collection. The Spined Dragon will make for a great objective or GM controlled monster in many a scenario. Hopefully I might come across a body for the FF Dragon.


Complete Adventurer, Wizard, Fantasy Adventurers paladin? Grenadier Fighter, Preslotta Elf? I'm really pleases with the wizard and Complete Adventurer as they're both minis I've coveted for a while now! The adventurer will make a great addition to my baggage train.



Pygmies - Love 'em or hate 'em - looks like my Slann renegades are going to get some local guides.



Chaos Dwarf Renegades - Mad Marik Trollbiter, Doomaxe the Dreaded, Pulper Spikehead, Napper Grundrin, Khazek Doomlord. D'oh - another set that now needs completing!


Chaos Dwarves - Jezreel Ironhand, Zelazad Hornhead, Grimdur Gutwrencher, Spikes Harveywotan, Stunty Sven, Baldrik Backbreaker, Ori Pointedbeard and Hairy Henghist Horse-eater. Looks like I can add a decent sized unit of Chaos Dwarves to my Chaos army now!


And these D&D Duergar will fit right in with them.


Presumably these two shields were once attached to the Chaos Dwarves and I rather like them - think they'll be retouched and preserved when I get round to it.



Goblin King and parts of his chariot - the Goblin King will probably end up as a spearman or champion for another regiment and I'll add the chariot, with some new crew and draught animals to my growing unit of Goblin chariots. The broken banner top will make a good totem for one on of my other Goblin units.


Marneus Calgar - another set that needs completing!



Traveller minis and unknown vehicle? Seem to have a few of these knocking around now - must resist temptation to get more...



And there you have it - apologies for the "Look what I've got!" post but it's been a while since I have had the good luck to get my hands on a windfall like this!

47 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think there must be a time warp back to the 80's in it because it seems to have TARDIS like dimensions!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Couldn't quite believe it myself! I'm thinking I should hit the car boot sales more often.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks DM, RV and LE - I have a feeling that car boots will only bring me disappointment from now on though ; )

      Delete
  4. Wonderful find my friend, it's nice they are now in the hands of someone which will love and use them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - the wilderness years are over for these little fella's!

      Delete
  5. Wow! Thats awesome, cant beleive how much was stuffed in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Thats awesome, cant beleive how much was stuffed in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! The weight of it was a real surprise when I first laid hands on the box.

      Delete
  7. That's the kind of mother-in-law to have.....well done. I'm not jealous really (those look like a couple of Asgard dwarves mixed in with the Citadel chaps...very nice).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly came up trumps and she's definitely no slouch when it comes to rummaging.

      We like a bit of Asgard too - I wondered if there were a few as I was trawling through the citadel minis wiki.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unbelievable! I've seen all of 4 Grenadier minis in all my garage sale, flea market, and antique store visits! I'll help you out by trading you for your 2 zombies? No need to start another collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your time will come Chris! Previous to this I've only ever seen the later plastic stuff which doesn't interest me and some epic once, which unfortunately got snaffled before I could get near it.

      I've got a few swapsies out of this lot but not the zombie I'm afraid, although it'd be quicker to create a regiment of Frankenstein's Monsters the rate I'm going! ; )

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You jammy bugger! What a nice and unexpected haul :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the best bit I reckon - totally unexpected!

      Delete
  12. Aha!! All my fantasies about British Car Boot sales are true!! I always knew it! Once again I smile with the thought, "O, English Collectors have it so tough!" I'm very happy for your great score, Thantsants! (I look forward to seeing next week's haul : ) !)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers PW - Well a few hauls like this one and it might be worth the air fare ; )

      As for having it tough - We do like a good moan over here when things aren't quite as rosy!

      Very tempted to get out rummaging myself next weekend but I've got a ton of stuff to get done for BOYL...

      Delete
  13. Wow! what a prize! And all those dwarfs...oooh, why you and not me? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. 5£!!!! What a rip off!!!!!

    Great haul, you luck bastard :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mother-in-Law did actually quibble over the price I think - she loves a bargain! She was most surprised to hear that minis generally go for around £3 (inc. P&P) on ebay and that many of the minis in this lot would be more than a fiver on their own.

      Delete
  15. Good Lord, what a haul! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mouse - will do once I've got rid of the pile of stuff I need for BOYL 2015!

      Delete
  16. Wow and Wow and Wow....I keep hitting up Garage sales here in the US hoping for a find like this...but no luck so far...:(

    If you ever want to move that Paranoia Trouble Shooter with the heavy weapon please let me know...he's been avoiding my grasp for a long time now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep hitting them Blue - you'll hit paydirt at some point!

      I'm afraid I'm keeping a tight grasp on the Trouble Shooter mate - I'm becoming quite keen on tracking some more Paranoia minis down and perhaps playing the game at some point in the future - sorry!

      Delete
  17. £5 eh? Well I guess it is worth that...

    My wife passed on a box like this once, and I always imagine it was filled with loot like this [although,being that this is in the US, it probably would have had Ral Partha or similar stuff]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too shabby for a fiver!

      Best not to dwell on the near misses I think - that way madness lies!

      Delete
  18. Well that deserves a good mother's day present :-) I'd love the Allo, Allo mini, I never even knew it existed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might be right there!

      As for the copper - I'm afraid I've already got visions of gaming The Talons of Weng Chiang with the Fourth Doctor and Leela so he's going to come in handy after all!

      Delete
  19. The ultimate Oldhammer find! We will all dream of outdoing you and we shall all fail miserably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a box of treasures out there for every one of us - believe and find it you will!

      Delete
  20. Impressive haul. One thing, it's not a LotR Easterling - it's a C13 Heroic Adventurer - Luyt'Ama Rah'Slyn.

    enjoy!

    ReplyDelete