Pages

Sunday 16 June 2013

Frog on your Throat!

Ah, finally some new material - with some old thrown in for good measure!

Here is my Round 9 entry to the LPL - the Slann wizard on his Palanquin, borne aloft by lobotomised slaves. This mini has been on the hit list for some time and you may remember a rather jubilant post a while back when I finally got my hands on it.



Also featured here is a rather natty aquarium ornament I picked up some time ago for £4 at Pets at Home - doesn't even really need a touch up, although I may make a scenic base for it at some point.


I spent quite a while trying to decide on a colour scheme for the Wizard. Having already used colourful poison arrow frog type patterns for my Venom Tribe Slann, I wanted something equally colourful and patterned but with much more stature than those lowly primitives!


Having trawled google images I came up with this regal looking fella - an Amazon Horned Frog. I brightened up the green a bit and attempted the brown stripes - think he turned out alright!





I also figured that a Slann of this status would probably have no taste at all - think a Lustrian version of Toad of Toad Hall! Hence the rather gaudy feather fan and his cushions of many colours.



You may also be just able to spot the rather lovely Aztec Sun Stone base he is mounted on from the excellent Fenris Games. To make it look part of the scenery I blended it in with rubble, sand, jungle tufts and a few flowers.


While I'm on a Lustria theme, here's a few better shots of the Lizardmen I posted the other week








4 comments:

  1. Great figures and a wonderful paintjob. Oldest son is getting into Lizardmen so we will be looking back for terrain and painting tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers - so far I think I've gotten away with my regular European style trees and foliage. I do have some aquarium plants stashed away to make some jungle bases, as well as some 28mm scale palms of various sizes. Pet shops are definitely your friend!

      When I get round to photographing it, I'll be posting up pics of my Shrine of Rigg, temple build done with Hirst Arts blocks...

      Check out Amera too for some nice jungly ruins.

      Delete
  2. Great work on the Slann.

    I love the fan, might have to 'borrow' that idea for mine :)
    I also like the combinations of colours used for the pillows and on the palaquin, and the depth achieved on the model as a whole.

    The Slann flesh is a good colour, I like the mottled effect. I've found looking at photos of frogs can be a good guide. I'm also planning to add flowers and things to the bases of my Slann later, good to see how you have used them.

    The lizardmen are great as well, especally the use of the Gorgaz. The scale pattern is really effective.

    Love your jungle background too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lee - actually I took a few sneaky peaks at your legion of wizards and was taken with the many hues of their cushions ;)

      So borrow away with the fan!

      Frogs are definitely worth using as a reference although some are so colourful I'm not sure I could pull it off!

      The Gourgaz is a favourite of mine - and the cause of me hankering after another set of minis (Lone Wolf) - well that and being a big fan of the game books.

      Delete