Pages

Sunday 1 September 2024

Dog Snots and a whole load of Bogeys...

Crikey, where does the time go? Thought I was on top of this blogging malarkey and several motnhs go by just like that... (edit from present day me and not mid-June me when this draft was originally written - more like a lot more than several months ago!)


Well I've been busy with my new job - 


Countryside Operative is my new job title - I was a little sad to lose the title of Ranger when I moved on from my old job back in late February, but I'm a lot happier now and it's essentially the same role - just as a private contractor now, rather than working for the National Park. I think Countryside operative sounds a bit more dangerous anyhow, despite me looking more like a lifeboat crewman when I'm all togged up! XD


These pics are from a lovely job I did up Swindale, down near Haweswater - a couple of weeks putting up dry stone wall gaps on my own, although the weather wasn't always this good! Hardly saw a soul up there - bliss!



Just as with my old role as Field Ranger, it's not the most compatible job with the hobby - the combination of physically hard labour (for example, there's about a ton of stone in each meter of dry stone wall, which needs pulling out and sorting before going back in to the wall), braving whatever the elements throw at you and all that fresh air means I spend a fair part of most evenings napping on the sofa when I get home from work instead of painting!


Anyway on to what you've probably come here to read about - Snots on Dogs! I'm writing this several weeks after Bring Out Your Lead (the annual UK Oldhammer get together at Foundry, courtesy of the ever welcoming Ansells) and the game this lot were painted for has been played. Spoilers - it went really well and was highly enjoyable for me and the numerous players who joined in. However, I'll get in to that in a later post after I've gone through and showcased the Snotling and Halfling armies I painted up for the game - Last Ham at Grazer's Leat - my Warhammer Fantasy take on the 40K scenario, Last Stand at Glazer's Creek, which featured in WD222 back in June 1998.


So apart from my waffling about my lackadaisical  approach to blogging these days, this post does exactly what it says on the tin - Snotlings mounted on dogs. I wanted a bit of variety for the Snotling host for this game and I needed some options to vaguely follow options like Bikes or Buggies given in the chart for rolling up the Space Ork army in the original scenario. 


So what better than Snotlings on diminutive wolves (or more likely some mongrel cross between wolves and dogs!) to give them some more mobile troops.


Luckily I had a few spare Snots and a bunch of the Ral Partha wolves that came with their Lesser Goblin Wolf Riders - they were ideal as they're a bit smaller than the various wolves that came with Goblin Wolfriders over the years. I also had a bunch of wolves from Warbases, I think, which were also far too small to work as Warhammer wolves but were spot on for the diminutive Snotlings.


These chaps were a fun little diversion from painting hoards of Sotlings on foot. I wanted them to look a bit more foxy than wolf, in terms of colouration, so chucked a bit of orange in to the mix of the usual wolf paint recipe I use.


I managed to scrounge together enough wolves and Snotlings for 11 Snots on Dogs, which was plenty for the scenario save for any outlandish dice rolling on the random army chart. However, I'd rather like to expand the unit for regular games of Warhammer as a handful of mounted Snotlings are going to look a bit lost! I have also somehow ended up with about four packs of Foundry foxes which will want to be used for something, so I guess I'll be trawling ebay for affordable Snotlings for a while to come!


Glad I got back to the blog eventually! It wasn't all just falling asleep after work that was keeping me from the keyboard - I've had Covid, been on holiday to Normandy (which was lovely!) and ended up in a mad rush of painting and scenery building for most of July after my mate who I was supposed to be playing this scenario with at BOYL (and was bringing along the Halflings...!) realised he wasn't going to be in the country at the same time as we were supposed to be pushing toy soldiers around a table. Any thoughts of keeping the blog updated with my progress went out the window in the rush to be ready for BOYL! Anyway, I have loads of stuff to share from this game so expect more regular posts from here on in... afternoon naps permitting ;) 

16 comments:

  1. Beard envy!!!! I'm glad you are enjoying the job, ranger does sound better, very Tolkien! Keep up the painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - thanks! It waxes and wanes with the seasons Yeah I know - that's why I was sad not to be a Ranger anymore - the rest is compensating ;)

      Delete
  2. So glad to have you back! I'm not only excited by the minis (of course I am!), but I also find your line of work fascinating!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man and apologies for the absence. I love the job and where it takes me - no two days are the same! Hard work though!

      Delete
  3. Tidy work there. And I like the snotlings too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Old Hob! Walling is one of my favourite bits of the job - really satisfying when the stone is behaving itself and going in to the wall nicely! The same could be said of painting Snotlings!

      Delete
  4. welcome back. manual labor would also prevent me from blogging or painting in the evenings. and sometimes it's fun to do hobby stuff without having to worry about 'blogging about it.'
    nice job on the snots. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stew - aye, I can be pretty wiped out of an evening! Frustratingly I really wanted to get this post out but was delayed by things like my laptop deciding not to recognise the SD card in my camera anymore, tryng to find a usb cable that fit my camera so I can actually get some power in to it after the battery charger went walkabout and other annoying little inconveniences! Amen to liberating yourself from the tyranny of the blog and enjoying the hobby for itself sometimes though!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Cheers bud - all the best bits of the old job with none of the nonsense from management!

      Delete
  6. Not all who wander are lost 😅

    Glad to see you alive and well, I often check here to see if you've put fingers to keyboard, followed keenly since the heyday of oldhammer blogging.

    Glad you're also happy in your work now. I was an archaeologist for 10 years before hiding inside buildings at the University of Leeds, and I still struggle with not being out in nature regularly. Then winter comes and I smugly wrap a duvet round me at my WFH desk haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, very true my friend. I might add that not everyone who potters isn't working = even if that kind of is the definition of pottering and not that I ever get time to potter at work - that's definitely reserved for the weekends!
      I used to be a primary school teacher before digging holes for a living - not quite the same as a cosy office (and now again, when it's bad out, I would definitelly agree with you XD) but I definitely don't miss the classroom, even when it's raining sideways! Miss the kids now and again - they were always the best bit of that job.
      Also thanks so much with bearing with my dilletante approach to this blog since that heyday - means a lot to hear that you check in to see if I've pulled thumb out bum!

      Delete
  7. I reckon they would look Great on foxes and I have also painted up the Warbases wolf as a fox. As it is a bit too small as wolf.

    Glad to see you back on the blog, it is one of those blogs that I often have a wander through the archives. Although it is always nice to read new stuff 😀.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob - always feels good to get something new up too! Yeah I was thinking it'd add some nice size variation to the unit with the Foundry foxes - give more of a sense of a ramshackle, mongrel pack!

      Delete
  8. Fantastic work, the Snotlings look great on the wolves! And interesting to hear about your job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Snapfit - They were a fun little change to the hordes of Snotties on foot! Aye the job's a bit different and as enjoyable as it is tiring!

      Delete