Pages

Sunday 4 February 2024

A Return to the East (and the blog!)

Well it's been a while but I'm back and with some new stuff!

So I'll dispense with the usual apologies for prolonged radio silence - There's been plenty of them over the years! I've been long hankering for a return to blogging and it's been really heartening to see the odd comment on here enquiring as to whether I'm still active - I will apologise for those comments languishing in moderation limbo for long periods of time! There's been a lot of water under the bridge and a lot of real life since last posting here. I won't bore you with the details but a lot of it has been to do with work related depression and anxiety, mainly stemming from all kinds of retrograde changes from a chronic lack of funding compounded by utterly incompetent management. I'm in a much better place now and looking forward to starting a new job this month, happily doing the same countryside management stuff I used to do as a National Park Field Ranger. I've been active in the hobby throughout (well some of the time!) and it's been a lifeline of sanity and enjoyment - especially the games and events down at Foundry with a lovely bunch of folk who I don't see often off thanks to our disparate geographical locations. So enough with the depressing real world stuff as I have new things to share here as well as a bunch of older material from the last Old World Army Challenge I participated in but never got round to posting here. 


One thing that kept me painting (because I had to!) was a painting commission I agreed to do for a good friend who can be found on Instagram under the name Magnetic Scrolls - as can I now thanks to his badgering! https://www.instagram.com/stephen.beales/ 

I was always going to help a mate out who was contemplating quitting the hobby because of ill health, but the nature of commission really piqued my interest as it was an opportunity to paint, among other interesting stuff, a whole bunch of Citadel's Oriental miniatures that I'd likely never get my hands on otherwise! Of course while I write this, I notice the accompanying image is actually an Oni, currently still available from Dixon Miniatures! I will add at this point that these pictures lack the usual scenic background I prefer - I wasn't terribly organised at the time to photograph them in this way and these pictures are the ones I sent for approval as I finished each batch. I did get round to doing some proper photos of the last lot I painted but I'll save those for later.


The brief was for an Oriental themed Chaos army - cue a really interesting mix of Samurai, Beastmen, Chaos Warriors, Kabuki theatre actors and ninjas. How could I resist!


It all started off with this lovely little group but it was the wizard I was most excited about painting - not a miniature I'd even seen before! The above picture is taken from Stuart's instagram account as I realise I never took a picture of them fully finished before handing them back! The following is a photo dump of the painted miniatures I sent for approval before basing.






This was a fun little guy to paint, especially with the request for blue skin and some great reference art of various Oni for inspiration!


I really loved painting this chap - loads of character to work with in the face. Again the preferred colour scheme was a lot of help and suited this model down to the ground.



I was on more familiar territory with these Hobgoblins, having painted quite a few in my time, Wrinkly Hobgobin boobs was a first though!



As said previously, Stuart's colour choices and reference pictures he sent were a real help and there was always some interesting ideas he came up with. This Chaos Dwarf was a case in point as Stuart wanted the armour to look like the stone armour found in the tomb of the first Chinese Emperor to match with his big brother a bit further on.






Who doesn't love a Ninja and like with Dinosaurs - everything is better with them! These were a bit of struggle as I became concerned that there wasn't enough contrast between the greys and dark blues of their clothing - thank God for Drakenhof Nightshade as I think they came out alright in the end.





Not sure if it really shows in the photos but I've found this painting tutorial from Sorastro a great way of making large areas of fur or similar materials look more realistic in terms of shading and highlights. Seems to work for a Ninja's Mino (straw cape) as well as Wookies!








I must admit approaching the Samurai with some trepidation - lots of colours and fiddly detail. As it was they weren't as onerous as I feared but I was glad to get them done! Also pictured are a couple more Hobgoblins and an undead Ninja which were included in this batch to preserve my sanity!



I think the restrained colour scheme really helped me out with these models, as did painting over a zenithal highlight undercoat and using citadel shades to bring back the contrast.











Interesting model this one - I guess you don't see that many Undead Ninjas about! The detail of the mask he's wearing was a good opportunity to add a little splash of colour and tie him in with the rest of the Ninja.



An old favourite of mine and a model I've painted several times before! I think he's one of the best Hobgoblin models of all time.






So I think that'll do for now but there's plenty more to come from this project in the coming weeks! At the risk of promising things I might not deliver on, I'm going to try and get a post out each week or two. Take that with a pinch of salt as my day job is a physically tiring one, especially in these winter months when you're out on the fell every day and in every weather, and week day evenings are often a write off - weekends too if there's family or social stuff going on. I'll also give you a little teaser of the current project I'm working on which will feature on the blog later in the year and it's certainly a rather lighter hearted one to those of the past few years! - after three days of prepping and undercoating Snotlings, I'm just off to do a test piece to decide on a suitable skin tone for them...

29 comments:

  1. I'm excited by this project! Looking good man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bud - it was a fun one and certainly got me out of my comfort zone at times!

      Delete
  2. Glad you're back! Great work on the minis, I especially like the hobgoblins. Looking forward to seeing the Snotlings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! My favourite too but this commission has seen me slowly gathering my meagre collection of Oriental miniatures together. I have vague future plans of a Human Oriental army - a mix of Imperial type soldiery and Conan style Steppe horsemen and warriors - good kickstarter from Satanic Panic for their Mongolian Cavalry!

      Delete
  3. Nice paint jobs on some fine models. Great to have you back blogging. You´ve been missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice paint job on some fine models. Great to have you back blogging. You´ve been missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much and very kind of you to say - I've definitely missed blogging.

      Delete
  5. Welcome back! We are happy that things are better there now and that we can read your new post.
    There has certainly been no shortage of painting work in recent months, and we really like the oriental army of chaos: truly original miniatures and colours. We look forward to seeing the development of your fun and promising project on snotlings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly - great to be back! It's been a really interesting commission and quite nice to have someone else come up with the colour schemes for a change!

      There's a bit of catching up to do but depending on how well I get on with the Snotlings, you may see some of the little green fellas popping up here in the coming months!

      Delete
  6. First of all welcome back, it's so good to hear of you again. This project is enormously original and cool, I'm in awe! Looking excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you too and thanks very much! I should say I was only responsible for the colouring in but I'd agree that Stuart's idea for the army was brilliant - wish I'd thought of it! XD It really reminded me of the bad guys in the Fighting Fantasy book, Sword of the Samurai

      Delete
  7. Welcome back, always good to see your projects. Happy blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob - great to be back and I shall have to do some catching up on what everyone else has been up to!

      Delete
  8. Welcome back, always good to see your projects. Happy blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to see you back in the groove!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much - really happy to be back blogging! Looks like I've a fair bit on my reading list to catch up on!

      Delete
  10. Way to return in style! Lots of awesome figs in there and very cohesive and well painted force. I hope your buddy manages to get them on the table soon for their inaugural loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave! They certainly are intended for the table at some point but he's in double trouble as not only are they newly painted, but these ones were painted by me - an even more sure-fire way to a glorious defeat XD

      Delete
    2. By the way - I was reading back through your blog to return the compliment and came across your bump post for Stew at A Terrible Loss of Lead and Wealth. Stew's post certainly struck a chord, especially with all the lovely comments I've had on this post after a fairly long period of inactivity. Anyway it got me thinking so thanks!

      Delete
    3. You are most welcome. It's quite lovely that there are some blogs that are a hive of comments and socialization. Based on the flurry of activity here you certainly qualify!

      Delete
    4. Yeah it's really heartening! Having seen a lot of blogs fall by the wayside that my friends in the Oldhammer Community used to run (or at least the ones I get to meet up with fairly regularly), the general consensus amongst that crowd seemed to be that blogging was a bit of a dead art - apart from a few stalwarts plugging away of course! I had no expectations about how this post would go down after various long absences and it's lovely to see the blogging community still in good health - seems a lot more cosy and meaningful than posting on social media and getting a bunch of likes! Anyway thanks to all the regulars for sticking with me and everyone who's taken the time to check the post out or comment - means a lot! I think there may be a post brewing on this topic...

      Delete
  11. Good to have you back. All the best with the new job.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely to see you back blogging and what a cracking post to return on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you again Michael and thanks!

      Delete
  13. So happy to see you back blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent post and so glad to see you back and looking forward to your new job! Definitely agree with your comment that blogging is much more wholesome than social media. It Requires effort, investment, and imagination and you are one of the best at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much - you're too kind! Two weeks in now and really enjoying the job too. Just been over to your blog and I'd have to return the compliment - very excited about your Fighting Fantasy Siege of Vymorna project!

      Delete