Pages

Thursday 21 August 2014

There is nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats

With BOYL 2014 only just finished some keen Oldhammerers have turned their attention on next year's shenanigans.

I'm rather keen on Chico's Outcast Greenskin Project even if it does sound like the name of some pretentious Prog Rock band! It'll give me a good reason to paint up my Hobgoblin and Half Orc army which would put me dangerously close to getting most of my Goblinoid collection finished!



The other suggestion that really caught my imagination was taking to the waves and playing some kind of Warhammer Ahoy/All the Dwarves love a Sailor, Fantasy naval combat game. I'm not quite sure who had the idea first but Harry seems to be getting things organised on the forum so that certainly promises to be a fun game.

I have quite a few ideas whizzing through my head as to what kind of ship I'd like to field - the difficulty is choosing one of them!

It'd be great to do a Longship for my Norse who don't really get enough outings.



My Slann would surely appreciate a bit of ancient technology in the form of a Laputa style flying temple



I could invest in some Halflings, a flock of birds and a pork pie to create a James and the Giant Peach style craft!


However, the one fantasy ship that has really made an indelible impression on my mind was the amazing Giant and his ship hat from Time Bandits.


Great minds think alike obviously, as I soon discovered that Norse had got there first and was planning something similar. Without stealing too much of his thunder, it involves an Action Man head and a single Goblin Shaman perched on top of it.

So at the risk of infringing on his IP I decided to carry on regardless and present a slightly different twist on the idea.

Now I was pondering as to who I would crew such a creation - the obvious answer would be Kevin and the 6 Dwarves, Randall, Fidgit, Strutter, Og, Wally and Vermin. I think I will hunt down some minis for these chaps but it looks like Norse might want a bit of muscle to support his Shaman - which is where my 4A Goblins would come in.

A hearty crew and they're already painted!

They look suitably aquatic and mad enough to be crewing a ship on top of  a Giant's head! I noticed there were one or two of the little blighters missing from my collection when I was perusing the 4A webshop the other day so promptly ordered another couple of sets. The duplicates will make some nice crew members to swing off the rigging and suchlike.

Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of Rum!
I wonder if I could work in the 4A Sea Demons as well somehow...


Especially as I couldn't resist this little fellow - another fantastic Kev Adams sculpt!


Here is what I plan on basing the Giant's head on -


A little thinner in the face than I had hoped but well detailed and made of easily workable and light polystyrene. I'll be chopping him off just below the nose I think and mounting him on some 5mm ply as a base.

As for a ship - I have purchased this rather handsome remote control ship from Pirates of the Carribean. The remote control would solve the problems of reaching my ship to move it in the middle of a very large gaming table but sadly they'll have to go so I can fit it to the Giant's head.


I'll have a better idea of where to cut once I have both items in my hands and can see how wide the ship is in comparison to the Giant's head.

Can't wait to get started on this one!

4 comments:

  1. Yep it's official your a crazy fecker... hehe ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that - there's a white van just pulled up outside and some blokes in white coats are getting out of it...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Just hoping it'll all fit nicely together...

      Delete